Senior Associate | Latham & Watkins LLP
I was born the eldest daughter of 12 in Finland, and discouraged from aiming for Oxford. Now I’m an Oxford and Cambridge educated Solicitor Advocate (Higher Courts), and a Senior Associate at Latham & Watkins – the world’s largest law firm by revenue. I practice broadly in international disputes, and specialize particularly in energy and pharma (https://www.lw.com/people/hanna-roos).
Studying Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Balliol College, Oxford, imprinted a passion for ethics and justice which informs what I do:
- Setting up and co-leading Latham’s global Parent Lawyers Group, which supports the progression of parent lawyers (mothers and fathers) at the firm (https://www.lw.com/AboutUs/Diversity/Affinity). Our awesome initiatives to support those returning to work and planning parenting have generated excitement in our more than 30 offices.
- Co-leading our London Pro Bono Committee to help the disadvantaged by offering free legal advice. This help has merited an external award from TrustLaw. Globally, our help is valued at nearly US$ 1.1 billion since 2000.
- Mentoring junior lawyers and inspiring both male and female colleagues by leading with a gender neutral style and “leaning in” (thank you Sheryl). I believe in openness and have shared my experience of miscarriages to help others speak up, stay positive and manage their career during difficult times.
- Acting on high-profile matters to support victims of historic torture and human rights violations.
- Using my ethics and legal background to help patients. This began a decade ago after two of my siblings passed away because of a rare medical condition. I have established a collaboration with Harvard and been invited an External Professor in clinical pharmacology to a Masters course supported by Milan University, Mario Negri Institute and Novartis Pharma.
- Supporting students launching their first start-ups, as part of a leading business school’s “Founder’s Lab”.
I am a supportive wife to an NHS junior doctor, mother to a 3.5 year old Tyrannosaurus Rex (so he thinks), a caring au pair employer and the owner of an over-sized Alsatian as well as six tetra-fish. I began my career at a magic circle firm and have worked in Paris and London. We do karate as a family on weekends (to try to shake off exhaustion!) and, at our son’s insistence, sponsor wild elephants.